Sunday, March 05, 2006

let's call the whole thing off

You say "Parrano", and I say "Dutch Parrano"...

Several years ago, my friend Ward introduced me to Dutch Parrano at Surdyk's in Minneapolis. This is, basically, aged Gouda. Used to be hard to find--it's easier these days in good cheese shops. It's close to parmaggiano reggiano, but a bit creamier and not so harsh. Very nutty and wonderful. This is a hard cheese that you shave off and eat with fruit or crackers. It's fantastic grated on pasta or pizza, and divine with your fingertips.

(Surdyk's is another topic altogether. Customer service beyond compare.)

About six months later, I was in Amsterdam. When I travel, one of the things I love to do is go to local groceries and drug stores to see what the locals experience. I was in a wonderful grocery store close to my hotel, looking for something to bring to the hotel for dinner. I found some fruit, crackers, and suddenly an ENTIRE REFRIGERATED CASE full of "Parrano". Cubed, chunked, in various sizes. WHOA!!! I couldn't believe it! How is it that they had so much Parrano here, and was it the same as "Dutch Parrano" that Ward showed me?

Then...gradually...the realization of where I was came upon me..."Dutch"..."Holland"..."The Netherlands"...Amsterdam...oh, yeah. This would be, completely, "Dutch Parrano". I laughed out loud at myself, no doubt causing the locals to whisper about silly American tourists.

No comments: